Sunday, December 18, 2011

Trip3 and Pisa


 I thought I had some better pictures for the rest of trip2, but not too many good ones...therefore, on to trip3.  Prima fermata, Siena.  Here is the home of the infamous horse race takes place.






Then on to Firenze (I'm not sure why we call it Florence...barely even close).  Note Brunelleschi's dome still a strong presence in the city.
 Here is an interesting idea, lets just cantilever off for our new addition...driving some structural engineer crazy!
 Del Duomo (di Firenze).
 Between the two shells of the dome.  I had been climbing for quite a while on stairs that circulated circumferentially until the slope of the dome allowed direct climbing up.

Standing on a walkway near the top of the vertical portion just below where the dome starts to slope inward.  This picture is looking almost straight up.  As the crack denotes, time takes its toll on all.













When in Roma... (do as the tourist do...take pictures of the Colosseo.)  





























La Fontana di Trevi... although you can't see it in this picture, the area in front of the fountain was packed... I actually held the camera as high as I could and hoped for the best.









And of course, the Pantheon.













Here in Pompeii (note I saw this spelled with either 1 or 2 i's) with Vesuvio in the background.


Pompeii is/was a lot bigger than I imagined.






























After we returned from the 3rd trip, I realized I couldn't spend all this time in Italy and not see the leaning tower.  As you can see, my camera actually distorts the image.  The tower does not curve...It is straight and it leans more significantly than expressed in this picture.








This is most likely the last post containing a lot of pictures from Italy, but maybe we'll see a few from Charleston, SC...






























No comments:

Post a Comment